The education sector is constantly changing, especially for academies, free schools and independent schools. To navigate the many areas that need careful attention, you will need clear and sound legal advice that you can rely on.
By working closely with a wide range of educational establishments over the years, including primary and secondary schools, colleges, third party sponsors, local authorities, trusts and stakeholders, our specialist education team have gained extensive experience of the current issues facing independent schools and academies and those that may arise in the future.
Our expertise in this area enables us to advise on all aspects of the legal responsibilities in this broad sector from employment considerations to school governance.
If you need guidance on how to become an academy – or a multi-academy trust – or you need advice on the legal requirements of opening an independent or free school, we can help. We can steer you through the minefield of conversion formalities and ensure the transition is a smooth one.
Our specialist team can provide all the legal and practical support that educational establishments like free schools and academies need in order to thrive.
Our range of education services include:
- advice on education law – our experts can advise on the key issues affecting your educational establishment and the impact these issues may have, as well as the regulatory compliance required such as environmental, health and safety and licensing
- advice on status transfers – we can advise on the suitability of a proposed status transfer in relation to your chosen model
- advice on governance and trustees – we can help with all matters relating to the governing bodies, including creation and confirmation of a governing body and training requirements
- advice regarding staff members and employment law – we are able to provide expert advice on matters relating to employment contracts, including transfer of existing contracts, replacement contracts and providing pension advice
- advice on outsourcing, procurement and contracts with external suppliers – we can provide advice on managing outsourced services, contracts with suppliers and procurement terms and conditions
- data protection – our specialists offer comprehensive advice on compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and how best to deal with a data protection breach
- admissions and exclusions – we can assist with all aspects of drafting policies, resolving admission disputes, and appeal and exclusion processes
- advice on amalgamations and closures – we can advise on the best course of action in relation to potential school closures or mergers with other establishments as well as the legal obligations to be fulfilled
- advice on funding issues – we can provide guidance on suitable funding agreements and the regulations for educational establishments in relation to generating and managing income
For more information about how our dedicated team can help you, please contact us.